Thursday, February 11, 2016

A recent interest

Within the last year, i've started watching soccer. I grew up in an El-Salvadorian dominated neighborhood right outside Washington D.C., and soccer was the first sport I really played. I wasn't the best, but it was fun. My grandfather  wanted me to stop playing because I was a gifted basketball and baseball player when I was younger, and he didn't want me getting my legs torn up. By about age 11 I hung up my soccer cleats, and when I was 13 I moved to North Carolina.

I started watching the UEFA Champions League last season, when Barcelona won the treble (domestic league champions, domestic cup champions and Champions league champions). The technical skill involved in soccer has got me hooked. The ability these guys have with the ball at their feet can be downright astonishing. I've developed such an interest that I now follow the sport abroad on a daily basis. I watch ESPN FC, ESPN's very own soccer TV show, ton's of articles relating to some of my favorite players like Lionel Messi, Neymar and Riyad Mahrez... and my favorite team, Barcelona.

I never would have thought soccer would be one of the sports I follow religiously. It's a sport I haven't played in over ten years, and I've moved away from all of the friends I grew up playing the sport around. It's definitely one of those things that you would never guess about me!

No comments:

Post a Comment