Thursday, February 11, 2016

Online identity

Now, your identity goes almost hand-in-hand with your online profile. People see you in the streets, at school, or at work and they develop a thought process about you.. what they think about how you look, dress, speak and many other things. In today's day and age, this is becoming less and less relevant, as ridiculous as that sounds. People are more concerned with what you like online and who your friends with on Facebook instead of how you conduct yourself in real life. But why?

Because social media and the internet is the way people communicate now. The internet has the ability to broadcast information to others more directly and more obtrusively, whether you like it or not. Personally, I am a private kind of guy. I don't like to tell you about myself all day long, I'd prefer to show you. However, it's almost impossible to be truly private today. I have a Facebook to keep up with friends back in the DC area, and a Twitter for friend's I have met around the country playing in Major League Gaming tournaments. What that means is if I want to have any kind of social ability online, I almost have to give up my privacy. People can read and watch what I do, whom I am connecting with, even where my current location is... which is downright scary. I can't say I understand why so many people "check-in" on Facebook... but that's another issue for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment